How to apply for the first time

posted Aug 16, 2012, 7:36 AM by Unknown user
Obtain an application form from the passport office or the designated speed post centers or any of the designated outlets in your city.
You can download the form from the Central Passport Organisation’s Website http//
Fill all the columns carefully and legibly. The application may be submitted to the passport office concerned either in person or through a representative carrying an authorization letter or by registered post. Applications can also be deposited at district passport cells or district collectorates or DSP’s office at no extra charge and at designated speed post centers with a service fee or through authorized travel agents.
Submit proof of residence; i.e., two self-attested photo copies of the ration card or voters’ identity card or water tax bill or telephone bill or electricity bill or bank account or income tax assessment order or appointment letter of reputed companies on letterhead (any of them will do) clearly indicating/certifying the residential address.
Submit proof of date of birth; i.e., two self-attested photocopies of birth certificate issued by a municipal authority or district office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths if born after January 26, 1989 or date of birth certificate from the school last attended or affidavit sworn before a magistrate/notary as per specimen in the case of illiterate applicants.
If you haven’t stayed at the present address for the last one year, submit an additional set of ‘Personal Particulars Form’ for each place of residence with a photograph and two self-attested copies of supporting documents.
If you are a government or public sector or statutory body employee, you should submit a no objection certificate in original with a self-attested photocopy or two copies of the letter by you to your head of office informing that you are applying for a passport and duly acknowledged by your head of office.
If you have changed your name due to marriage, submit two self-attested photocopies of husband’s passport, if any, or an affidavit (original and one self-attested photocopy) from the husband and wife with a joint photograph, as per specimen.
If you have changed your name due to other circumstances, submit deed/sworn affidavit (original and one self-attested photocopy), as per specimen, and a paper cutting (original and one self-attested photocopy) each of two leading daily newspapers where change of name has been published.
If you are a citizen of India by registration or naturalisation, submit two self-attested photocopies of citizenship document.
Submit two self-attested photocopies of the supporting documents if you are eligible for ECNR (Emigration Check Not Required) endorsement on your passport. {The government has introduced ECNR to safeguard workers from being exploited by unscrupulous employers abroad}.
All self-attested copies of certificates/documents would be checked against originals at the Passport Office at the time of submission of application. Copies of certificates/documents sent by post should be attested by a gazetted officer.