Tourism‎ > ‎

Cathedral Church


St Mary’s Cathedral Church( Jalandhar Cantt)

The old church dedicated to St. Patrick was built by Rev. Fr. John Macodnnel, Q.F.M.CAP of the Vicariate Apostolic of Agra, in 1947 at the same site of new church since 1886.
 It was looked after by various chaplains appointed to Jalandhar from the Diocese of Lahore. After the partition in 1955, the Catholic Mission of the Indian Punjab was raised to the status of Apostolic prefecture with its headquarter at Jalandhar and the church at Jalandhar Cantonment became the Cathedral or the Mother Church of Punjab. The demolition of the old church was started on 15th February, 1987. The foundation stone for the new church was blessed by His Holiness Pope John Paul II in February, 1986 and laid by His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr. Symbhorian Keeprath Bishop of Jalandhar Diocese on 19th April, 1987. The roofing of the basement, the balcony and the main church were done on 19th September, 19th November and 19th December, 1987 respectively. The church was designed in such a way as to highlight the secular character of our motherland. Te new church was blessed by His grace Archbishop Jose Sanchez, the special delegate of Pope John Paul II from Rome and inaugurated by His Grace Archbishop Agostino Cacciavillan, the Vatican Ambassador and the Apostolic pronounced to India on 29th October, 1989, the day of the National Festival of Light, Diwali. On this occasion Archbishops and Bishops representing different regions of India were also present.
Comments